faber.co.uk
Faber and Faber began as a firm in 1929, but its roots go back further – to The Scientific Press, founded in the early years of the twentieth century, which was owned by Sir Maurice and Lady Gwyer and which derived much of its income from the weekly magazine The Nursing Mirror. The Gwyers’ desire to expand into trade publishing led them to Geoffrey Faber, a fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, and ‘Faber and Gwyer’ was founded in 1925. Four years later, The Nursing Mirror was sold and Geoffrey Faber and the Gwyers agreed to go their separate ways. Searching for a name with a ring of respectability, Geoffrey hit upon the name ‘Faber and Faber’, although there was only ever one of him.

Visit site

No Comments



This blog is kept spam free by WP-SpamFree.